Monday, May 19, 2014

Strength

I thought it would be fitting to write about strength today.  

You see, it was 7 years ago today that David and I said, "I do."  We both had no idea, that day, what life would hold for us...other than the fact that we knew we must spend it with each other.  I will remember our wedding day forever, and it was perfect, but it doesn't compare to the day that I saw David meet Ellie for the first time.  It was simply beautiful.  

The labor and delivery had been incredibly scary, and we were both were terrified.  But, the moment we saw Ellie, everything changed.  David was so overcome by his little girl, and beamed with joy, pride, and strength.  In those next hours and days we would both learn strength on a whole new level.


From the moment I returned to my room after delivery, the roller coaster began for us.  David rushed down to the NICU because Ellie had been sent there.  She was then released and brought to the well baby nursery and our room...we thought we were out of the woods.  


After we spent some time with her, that evening she had another breathing episode and was rushed to the NICU, and admitted.  That night was so, so hard.  We felt alone, uneasy, and sad.  I have always known David is extremely strong, but that night I got to see my husband in a whole different light, and fell even more in love with him.  His strength through all this blew me away. He would pick me up when I felt as if I couldn't go on, he pushed me to spend every waking moment with Ellie in the NICU, even when I felt like I couldn't make it after just having a c-section, he held me when I cried, he prayed with me, for me and for Ellie, he assured me that the Lord had a plan through all of this, he went to the NICU alone one night when I was too sick and sad to go, he supported, encouraged, and got up with me when I had to pump exclusively every 2-3 hours, he cheered me on as I learned the best ways to feed Ellie, he learned to feed her too like a champ, and he loved Ellie and me more than I ever could have imagined possible.  He truly was and is the picture of strength.

We began the journey into our new normalcy. 

Life as we knew it had changed.  

We spent countless hours in the NICU with Ellie.  We navigated the healthcare system, asked questions together, and waited anxiously as test results were sent off.  Then, came the day that I was released from the hospital...but, not with our precious baby girl.  Talk about heartache. David helped make it special, and showed strength through it all.  Seeing him strong, helped me to remain strong.  26 days after Ellie was born, we got to bring her home...it was so, so happy and special.  

The day I called the NICU for the test results our world came crashing down again, and it was such a dark, sad, scary, exhausting day.  David and I were able to support one another, hold one another, and show each other strength through it all.  I have learned, when one of us was weak, tired, exhausted and sad, the other one processed this extraordinary strength.  I know God orchestrated our life together.  He led us to one another, and He placed David in my life just when I needed him.  We may be a bit like oil and water, but I would argue, we are perfect for each other.  I need him.  He needs me.  As the days pass since we had Ellie, I look back on the growth we have each experienced...it is overwhelming.  God is doing amazing things in our family.  Our marriage is strong.  I am so thankful for David.  I am so appreciative of David.  I know I don't tell him near enough, but I am so proud of him...he works so hard to provide for us. He is the best father and husband I could ever ask for, and I am indebted to him for the strength he shows us everyday.

I simply cannot imagine this journey with anyone other than David.


Happy 7 years!  So glad we get to spend forever together.  I love you so, so much!





No comments:

Post a Comment