Monday, May 21, 2018

Bear Hugs

Mac ran over to Ellie tonight, his arms open wide for a hug.  And when they reached one another the biggest bear hug ensued.  Both of them feeling all the feels of what it is to be loved and appreciated.  Ellie looked at me and said, "Awww, Mackie Moo just loves me doesn't he???"

It's so crazy how this whole interaction will melt me into a complete puddle of sappy mush, yet make me fight back tears at the same time.

Why all the emotional extremes?

I think it opens old wounds.  
She might never...
Be prepared if she doesn't ever...
Socially, it will be hard...

It also thrusts present worry in my face.  

Friendship. 

Family better love you no matter what, but oh, aren't friendships so hard.  I want both my children to have friends...meaningful, genuine, lifetime friends.  And because PWS entered our life, friendship is just harder.  Plain and simple.

I can remember in the first days after receiving Ellie's diagnosis, David and I had a million thoughts run through our heads.  I can remember just crying at the drop of a hat, thinking about the "what ifs."  I can also, remember David looking at me, with tears in his eyes, "Do you think she will make friends?"  We just held each other.  "Yes, I said.  I know she will."  It is such a raw, sinking feeling when doctors give you a diagnosis.  It is like everything is taken away from you, and things you never dreamed you would be worried about, creep to the surface.  Will my child make friends?  Will she relate to others?  Will she thrive socially?  Will she be accepted?

I still know the answer is yes, she will make and have friends.  But, I have a bit more perspective as Ellie grows older.  Is it harder for her to make friends?  Yep.  Communication has been her first hurdle.  Simply being understood and heard is one of the first ways you make friends.  One thing I've learned along this journey...parents, teach your kids that we are all unique...differences make us amazing.  I know it feels safe to find similarities, but if you open yourself up to differences...you might just change your world for the better.  Being kind is definitely the new cool, but being kind AND being a friend is even cooler.  Sometimes just being kind isn't enough.  

Ellie's other hurdle making friends has been the ability to relate to peers, interact on their level, and just "keep up."  Six year olds like to run around, do cartwheels, play tag, and talk about JoJo Siwa once before moving on to the next topic.  Ellie would long to talk with you about every detail of JoJo's life.  She's not a fan of running, can't do a cartwheel, and might play tag for 5 seconds.  We've worked very hard to learn to initiate conversations and play with peers.  We do alot of role play at home about how to talk with other peers.  What could she say... What could she ask them... Ellie, without a doubt has always had a social aspect about her, and longs to be social with others...it just takes her a little more time to process information, and get it back out to her peers.  Each day I see her picking up more things socially.  Like everyone though too, she also can reach her max and needs and has to have alone or down time.  With each day that passes, I am in the unique position to really see what an awesome personality she has.  She has the greatest sense of humor, and is so funny, like seriously funny.  My prayer for her continues to be that she would have friends placed in her life that truly embrace and love her for her.  I pray that she would be able to garner friends that would be patient with her, look out for and fight for her, and build her up...and that she would do the same for them.  I also pray daily that she would be kind to everyone, but especially be kind, and a friend to those who need it most.

Back to the emotional extremes of Mac and Ellie's interactions....

Ultimately, their relationship shows me that love conquers fear, and even when you're told something might he hard...it's all the more sweeter and beautiful when you witness it happen right before your very eyes.  The connection Mac and Ellie are forming is the most amazing thing...and it absolutely will aid them both along their friendship journeys.

Friends...Ellie will most definitely make them...and Mac will too.  So thankful that they have one another for this crazy and beautiful ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment